Distracted Driving Safety
Being distracted while behind the wheel of your car not only puts your life in danger, but also endangers everyone who is around you on the road. While most people think of cell phones as the only cause of distracted driving, there are many other causes to consider. Keep these distracted driving safety tips in mind to help avoid distracted driving and stay safe.
- Stay completely focused on the road when you are driving. Actively scan the road ahead, behind, and on the side of your car so that you know what is around you at all times.
- Make sure all of your belongings are properly stored so that they do not roll around on the floor and possibly get stuck under your pedals while you are driving.
- Make any necessary adjustments before you hit the road. Make sure your mirrors and seat are in the proper position. You should also type your destination into your GPS before you get going so that you do not have to use it while you are driving.
- Try to avoid eating or drinking while driving. If you do have to eat a snack, choose something that you can eat with one hand and that you can store in your cup holder while you drive.
- Make sure your pets and children are safe and secure before you start moving. Consider buying a special pet seatbelt to keep your pet from roaming around the car while you are driving.
- If you have passengers in the car with you, ask them for help. They can send a text, make a call, or fix the GPS for you so that you can keep your hands on the wheel.